It was only yesterday, that I tried the Amul Dark Chocolate Tropical flavour with candied Oranges. This beautiful blend of citrus with sweet made me want to create something similiar too. What better than a Lemon Cake?
If you’d like a no fuss and easy Lime/Lemon Tea cake recipe with Candied lemon chunks, Keep reading.
Now I know lemon cake is a wonderful creation, but I was always apprehensive about trying it. And I am so glad I did! I also call it the Lime Cake, because the variety grown in my garden is actually Lime. It served the perfect icing ( literally) to my cake.
For the ingredients, I substituted the whole quantity of Refined Flour ( Maida) with one part of Oats (Quicker oats) and one part of Semolina (Sooji). This made the baking process quicker, easier and way Healthier. Instead of Sugar I prefer Jaggery, but for this recipe I needed a mix of both. The final result, Voilaa
Juice of 3 Lemon/ Lime
3/4 Cup Oats
3/4 Cup Sooji (Semolina)
3/4 cup Refined Flour ( Maida)
1/2 cup Oil/Butter/ Ghee
3/4 Cup Sugar ( Jaggery)
3 tbsp Milk
2 drops Vanilla essence
1tbsp Baking powder
1/2 tbsp Baking Soda
For the Candied Lemon & Syrup
3 tbsp of Sugar
Rind of 1-2 Lemon (The green outer part of the lemon grated). Make sure you avoid the white part of the peel as much as you can as it’s bitter.
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
1/2 cup Water
1.Wash the Lemon very well. First take a grater or a sharp knife & remove the Rind.
2. Squeeze the Lemon juice
3. In a blender, Take the Oil, Sugar, and Lemon Juice, and vanilla essence & Blend till frothy.
4. In a bowl add the Oats, Sooji & Maida, Baking powder & Baking Soda. Mix well.
5. Mix the wet & Dry ingredients together to form a smooth mix. Add milk if necessary.
6. Keep the mix aside for 10 min.
For the Candied Lemon
1.In a sauce pan take the sugar, Lemon juice, Lemon Rind & water. You can also add small pieces of lemon for the extra tang.
2. Stir till a thick syrup is formed. Cool it & save for later.
1. Transfer the mixture in a greased baking dish & bake for 20 min at 150-180 degrees. Please keep checking in between as all ovens have different heating capacities. Use a tooth pick to check.
2. Allow the dish to cool, flip & pour the Lemon syrup on top.
a) I use a normal Mixie blender to first whisk the wet ingredients & then add the dry ones to avoid piling up utensils.
b) The amount of citrus flavour & sugar can be easily adjusted depending on your taste.
c) The lemon candies should give a little bitter, but majorly sweet flavour.
d) I used Jaggery for the Cake batter & a mix of jaggery and White sugar for the syrup.
e) As I didnot have heavy cream, I used hung curd ( Amul Curd) that was not sour for the topping.
f) I will soon be trying a Maida free version of the cake, and I’m sure it would be almost as good.
Hope you enjoyed my little adventure & try this recipe in your Home. Please be safe & let us know how it turned out for you in the comments below.!
If you like other fuss free desserts, do check out our Easy Apple Dessert: Cheesecake with Cottage Cheese (Paneer) Recipe